For years people were advised not to eat too many eggs because of their high cholesterol content. However, we are finally coming to terms with egg white benefits! In fact, egg whites are considered one of the best superfoods available today. They are one of the healthiest foods that you can eat for building lean muscle.
Egg whites are known to be the most nutritious part of the egg, compared to the yolk. The egg white has the most protein, and plenty of vitamins and minerals. When compared to the yolk, the whites have less cholesterol too. Egg whites even play a big role in many popular diets such as the keto diet and South Beach diet.
What Are the Egg White Benefits?
Egg whites are obviously the white part of the egg when cooked. Eggs are rich in protein, but more than half of this protein is found in the egg whites alone. So if you are on a high protein diet, egg whites are an essential part of this diet. And they are a terrific and filling snack in the mid-morning or mid-afternoon. They will fill you up when you get those hunger pangs, and pack on the protein!
Egg whites also contain a heavy dose of vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamins B2, B6, B12
Health Benefits from Eating Egg Whites
Egg whites are a true superfood, and they’re super easy to make. And it’s a win-win, because they also come with so many health benefits. Egg white benefits are numerous, and can help with weight loss, and more!
Among the many egg white benefits are the following:
- Egg whites may help you lose weight as they promote satiety, and are ideal as a mid-afternoon snack. 4-5 egg whites is about 100 calories, and 15 grams of protein. So they are a great snack too.
- Egg whites come with about 54 mg of potassium, so when taken regularly they will improve electrolyte levels.
- Wrinkles and dry skin can be a thing of yesterday when you use egg whites as a facial mask.
- Egg whites contain amino acids such as glycine, plus a whole lot of protein that can certainly help build muscles.
- Most serious fitness buffs who focus on building lean muscle consider egg whites a staple food. Along with oatmeal and lean meats, egg whites should be part of your fitness diet.
Great Ways to Enjoy Eggs to Realize Egg White Benefits
Here are some ways you can enjoy egg whites:
- Egg whites as a topping for your smoothie
- Take 5-6 egg whites to work in a ziploc bag
- Egg whites for your muffins
- Egg whites in your protein smoothie
- Scrambled egg whites plain or with your desired toppings and ingredients
- Egg whites in bread or pita pockets
- Egg whites in mug cakes
Drawbacks of Adding Egg Whites to Your Diet
Egg whites are truly amazing superfoods, but there are some drawbacks to having too many in your diet. While we highly recommend egg whites to be part of your diet, there are some precautionary measures you need to keep in mind.
It is best to cook egg whites. Some people consume them completely raw, but it’s always best to cook them. There can be some problems and reactions to consuming raw egg whites, so it’s always best to cook them.
Once again, too much of something is not always good for you, and here is some more info on that. If you are concerned about your fitness regimen, it is great that you’re considering superfoods such as egg whites.
Learn more about other superfoods.