For years people were advised not to eat too many eggs because of their high cholesterol content. However, we are finally coming to terms with egg white benefits! In fact, egg whites are considered one of the best superfoods available today. And no, egg whites do not contain harmful cholesterol. They are one of the healthiest foods that you can eat for building lean muscle.
Egg whites are known to be the most nutritious part of the egg, compared to the yolk. The egg white has the most protein, and plenty of vitamins and minerals. When compared to the yolk, the whites have less cholesterol too. They also have numerous benefits for the heart, muscles, skin, and overall health. Egg whites even play a big role in many popular diets such as the keto diet and South Beach diet.
What Are the Egg White Benefits?
Egg whites are obviously the white part of the egg when cooked. Eggs are rich in protein, but more than half of this protein is found in the egg whites alone. So if you are on a high protein diet, egg whites are an essential part of this diet. And they are a terrific and filling snack in the mid-morning or mid-afternoon. They will fill you up when you get those hunger pangs, and pack on the protein!
Egg whites also contain a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamins B2, B6, B12
Health Benefits from Eating Egg Whites
Egg whites are a true superfood, and they’re super easy to make. And it’s a win-win, because they also come with so many health benefits. Egg white benefits are numerous, and can improve heart health, skin health, assist in weight loss, and more!
Among the many egg white benefits are the following:
- Egg whites can help lower your cholesterol levels.
- The risk of arteriosclerosis is significantly reduced, and arteriosclerosis can cause strokes and heart disease.
- If you’re currently pregnant, egg whites can provide you with a healthy dose of protein for your new baby.
- Egg whites may help you lose weight as they promote satiety, and are ideal as a mid-afternoon snack. 4-5 egg whites is about 100 calories, and 15 grams of protein.
- Egg whites come with about 54 mg of potassium, so when taken regularly they will improve electrolyte levels.
- Wrinkles and dry skin can be a thing of yesterday when you use egg whites as a facial mask.
- Egg whites contain amino acids such as glycine, plus a whole lot of protein that can certainly help build muscles.
Great Ways to Enjoy Eggs to Realize Egg White Benefits
Here are some ways you can enjoy egg whites:
- Egg whites as a topping for your smoothie
- Egg whites for your muffins
- Egg whites in your protein smoothie
- Scrambled egg whites plain or with your desired toppings and ingredients
- Egg whites in bread or pita pockets
- Egg whites in mug cakes
Drawbacks of Adding Egg Whites to Your Diet
Egg whites are truly amazing superfoods, but there are some drawbacks to having too many in your diet. While we highly recommend egg whites to be part of your diet, there are some precautionary measures you need to keep in mind.
First and foremost, if you have health conditions or if you’re on any medication, it is best to consult with your doctor about your food intake. There are are some foods that may not be ideal when combined with your current diet.
It is best to cook egg whites. Some people consume them completely raw, but there have reports of salmonella infection.
Finally, just like many other types of food, there are people who are allergic to eggs. Some are allergic to whole eggs, others are allergic to the yolk only and some are allergic to egg whites. Overall, egg white benefits far exceed any negative concerns.
Once again, too much of something is not always good for you, and here is some more info on that. If you are concerned about your health, it is great that you’re considering superfoods such as egg whites. But you must remember that you should eat in moderation. If you have any existing health condition or when in doubt, it is best to consult with your doctor.
Learn more about other superfoods.