A superset workout that involves your lower body and core muscles together is great for your overall health and fitness. Firing your abs with lower body strengthening exercises works to achieve your fitness goal effectively. The combination of these exercises makes you leaner, healthier, and more active.
Leg workouts give you enough strength to perform any activity and gives your legs immense power. Lower body exercises emphasize your knee health and make them stronger. (1)
Working on your glutes also minimizes the risk of injury and gives support to involve or perform other exercises such as cardio, HIIT, and more.
Core Workout for Mobility and Life Tasks
Core muscles are a primary area of attention as they are responsible for various coordinated movements of the body. If your core region is weak, there is a high chance that you will be unable to perform any other exercise.
Core exercises are also key as they help with overall mobility. As you get older this is paramount. Core workouts will improve your ability to perform everyday tasks, like mowing the yard and lifting items onto shelves in your home.
Superset Workouts: A Broad Focus
Doing a superset workout with alternating exercise focusing on different regions will target your muscles and vastly improve your strength. The basic requirement of this workout is to perform two exercises without any rest in between them for more effective and fast results.
This article will find some functional and effective exercises that will help build your core muscles and strengthen the legs.
Equipment That You Will Need
Strength training demands the use of some equipment for better results. For this advanced superset workout for legs and core, you will need a pair of dumbbells, a barbell, and a core slider for maximizing the effects.
Superset Workout for Legs and Core
The following workout includes a variety of exercises that will target your core and legs muscles. This workout plan has three sets with four exercises in each of them. This workout is a superset workout that aims to target your core muscles, hamstrings, quadriceps, abs, and back.
Some of these exercises might be hard for you, but you have to be consistent in doing them. It will challenge your strength and will require immense focus. Make sure that you are hydrated before performing this exercise. Also, it is extremely recommended to have a quick warm-up to activate your muscles groups.
Set 1 of this superset workout includes step-ups, reverse crunch, deadlifts, and press-ups with no rest in between. However, for your convenience, you can take a shorter rest while switching to the next exercise.
- A strong box or a step is needed for this workout.
- Stand straight by holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Step on the box one foot at a time.
- Come back to the original position and do the same on the opposite leg.
- Perform at least ten reps on each leg.
- Lie flat on your exercise mat.
- Now slowly lift both your legs up.
- With the help of your core muscles, lift your glutes off the ground.
- Return to the original position.
- Keep your feet off the ground to feel more burn in your abs.
- Give a slight bend to your knees to lower your body.
- Your back should be straight to avoid any injury.
- Now lift a barbell from the ground.
- Make sure that your core and glute muscles are engaged.
- Lift the barbell to the level of the chest and pause for a second.
- Now lower down to the original position.
- Do at least ten reps.
- Stand in a straight position by holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Your legs should be shoulder-width apart.
- Now bend your knees and keep your back straight.
- Lower your body by keeping your core engaged.
- Return to the original position.
- Do at least ten reps.
After taking a rest of one minute, gear up for the second set, including squat pulses, forward lunges, planks, and bicycle crunches.
- Just like a normal squat, lower down your body.
- Now stop here for some seconds and give a slight pulse to your body.
- Push your body slightly up from this squat position.
- Do at least five pulses.
- Return to the original position and do again for five reps.
- To make it more challenging, you can hold dumbbells in each hand.
- Stand straight and hold dumbbells in each hand.
- Now take a step forward and bend your knees.
- Both knees should make an angle of 90 degrees.
- Return to the original position and do the same on the opposite leg.
- Do ten reps on each leg and keep it slow to avoid injury.
- Place your forearms directly under the shoulder.
- Make sure that your core and glutes are engaged.
- Now lift your body and maintain a straight back.
- Hold this position for about 1 minute.
- Lie flat on the ground with your fingers tucked behind your ears.
- Tuck your knees inside of the body.
- Now try to touch the opposite knee with your elbow.
- Crunch up for better results.
- Do at least 20 reps on both sides.
Set 3 of this workout includes body saw, in and out, Russian twists, and mountain climbers.
- Do a plank position with your forearms on the ground.
- Place your toes on a pair of workout sliders.
- Slide your body with the help of your forearms.
- Slide your toes with the help of a slider.
- Do this for at least 1 minute.
- This exercise works for your upper body too.
In and Out
- Sit on your mat with your legs extended outwards.
- Using an exercise slider for this workout will be beneficial.
- Bring your knees towards your body and, at the same time, lift your core.
- Now extend your knees forward without touching the ground.
- At the same time, lower down your upper body but do not touch the ground.
- Repeat the same process for 1 minute.
- Sit on the mat with your legs slightly lifted from the ground.
- Your upper body and legs should make a V shape.
- Clasp your fingers and make a strong fist by extending it out.
- Now twist your abdominal muscles to the right slowly.
- Do the same on the opposite side.
- Perform ten reps on each side.
- Come in a high plank position.
- Use exercise sliders under your feet for better movement.
- Now bring your knee to the opposite elbow.
- Do the same on the other side.
- Make sure that your core muscles are engaged.
- Speed up the exercise gradually for more burn.
After completing exercises, make sure to follow a cool-down routine to relax your body. (2)
Final Words on a Superset Workout
It is necessary to perform specific exercises for your leg and core muscles. Strengthening them will improve your range of motion and will make you more active. They also improve your capacity to perform other daily activities.
A superset workout is great to add a challenging touch to your exercise routine. It might seem hard to perform these exercises without any rest time, but the results they bring are exceptional and are worthy of your time.
Click to see our video library of leg workouts.
- Karthik Kumar, M. B. B. S. (2021, March 19). What are the benefits of leg workout? 12 common benefits. MedicineNet. https://www.medicinenet.com/what_are_the_benefits_of_leg_workout/article.htm
Stiefvater, S. (2020, September 29). 10 cool down exercises that can make your workout more effective. PureWow. https://www.purewow.com/wellness/cool-down-exercises